06 April 2010

Peculiar Job

Today I'm writing from a computer that's jammed into the corner of a small room on a giant chemical factory (this isn't my job - but I'm getting paid while I do it). The room is stuffed with yellowing cardboard boxes of old files and there's a window that looks out onto the budding poplar trees. Spring has finally come to the south east of France.

My colleague is in the room above teaching English. That's what I'd normally be doing too, but my students canceled their lesson at the last minute. Important meetings or...maybe they just forgot. They have lots of work (and worries) at the moment - it was just announced that by 2013 the site will stop all chemical production.  Vaccines are taking over (does 'H1N1 ring a bell?). As one chemical engineer recently told me, "The age of chemistry is coming to a close. It's now biotechnology's turn to put its mark on the world."

As we stand on the edge of this historic and colossal change, people have confided in me their fears of being transferred to another site, moving house and family across the country, finding new schools for the kids. Some will take early retirement. Others will join this 'age of biology' and go to work for vaccines. Some will just move on altogether and find new jobs elsewhere. With all this anxiety in the air, it's no wonder they forget to come to their English lesson.

But I have to admit...it doesn't bother me.  

Usually I'd flip on my iPod, listen to anything from Milow to Mozart. Or write in my journal. Or surf the web if there's a computer nearby. But today I'm blogging.

In future posts I'll be adding more photos and descriptions of where I live - like this view of a recent sunset from our living room window - along with all the musings and fresh stories digne (as the French say) of your attention.

Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chouette! Belles photos.

Anonymous said...

Nice pics. Love to see more.

Mom said...

When time permits, post more of your reflections. LOVE to read your stuff.