14 May 2010

The Hitcher

It was a Thursday when I made the choice to keep on going. 
At the edge of the city is a company that designs information systems for many of the world's subways and trains. I go there once a week to teach English to their computer engineers. That's when I saw her. She was standing in the road and she had her thumb in the air.
Even though my foot kept a steady - in fact, increasing - pressure on the gas, my mind tried to make the hyper jump to analyze the situation. Maybe I hadn't sipped enough green tea before leaving home because the best my brain could come up with that morning was something better suited to slow and deliberate problem solving than on-the-fly decision making.
Oh, there's a lady. And look, she's hitching for a ride. I wonder where she's going. I'd have to swerve across three lanes to go over and pick her up. Could be kinda dangerous. Should I pick her up? I don't even know where she wants to go. I don't even know her. What would I say to her?
The result?
I kept on driving.
And then came the question: why?
The tagline from the 1986 horror flick The Hitcher came back to me in a flash: Never Pick Up A Stranger. I saw that movie one Friday night in high school with a bunch of my football buddies. Of course we garishly laughed our way through all the absurd gore and nightmarish on-screen jitters it threw at us. But privately, I think it royally scared the crap out of every single one of us.
So maybe I was afraid this lady would turn out to be some psychopathic man-eater who'd shred me to bits with power tools and have me for breakfast.
Or was it because I have always heard - and therefore just accepted as true - one should never do such things? Are you wearing clean underwear today?
So that got me thinking about how often I do things (or not) because "that's how things are done" without really stopping to ask 'why'.
  • Be polite.
  • Be a good neighbor.
  • Do what's expected of you.
  • Follow tradition.
  • Don't rock the boat.
  • Mind your manners.
  • Don't step out of line.
  • Do unto others...
  • Mind your own business (this one I might actually agree with).
  • Do the right thing.
  • Always say 'Thank you'.
  • Always say 'Please'.
  • Always say you're sorry.
  • Don't waste food.
  • DON'T WRITE IN ALL CAPITALS, ESPECIALLY EMAILS
  • "Smile!"
  • Say "cheese".
  • Eat all your peas.
Ad nauseum.
I watched the hitcher in my rearview mirror. Her head swiveled and she watched me for several long seconds, probably wondering what's he afraid of?
I don't know. Chainsaws, maybe? I hadn't yet entertained the idea of getting caught up in some dark, international espionage ring, but why not? Interpol is just down the road.
So if you're hitching through Lyon and a guy drives by in a '99 Renault Scénic and doesn't stop, it might be me. I'd love to give you a ride. Really I would. 
But until I work out how to switch off this stinking auto pilot and make bona fide choices untainted by social norms and conventions, chances are good I'll just keep on going.

No comments: