14 November 2010

An Autumn Day in La Dombes

My family and I just returned from a long weekend in La Dombes, an agricultural region north of Lyon.

It's definitely worth taking the time to explore the area's traditional farmers' markets, historical sites, bird park and nature walks.

But my favorite thing to do here, especially in this season, is wander the fields by myself. I love to watch how the light filters through the clouds and falls on the oak woods and rows of drying corn stalks. Sometimes I just find a quiet spot near a tree and look up at the sky. It's a great place to watch and listen.

And breathe.

The seven photos below span the length of one day in La Dombes, from sunrise to after sunset. Hopefully they convey some of the magic I feel when I spend time here.



Sunrise. Mt. Blanc, the highest mountain peak on continental Europe
can bee seen here as a small bump where the two tree lines meet near the 
bottom left. Click on the photo to see a larger image.



Late morning in the garden.



Mid-afternoon.



Trees at sunset.



These last three are all time exposures I took well after the sun went down.







The moon about to fall into a fiery horizon.


 The strong night wind eventually pushed the clouds away long 
enough to see stars in the western sky. Here they can be seen shining 
above a farmhouse that dates back to before the French Revolution.